London Fire Brigade want Whirlpool to change advice on faulty white goods after tower block blaze

Last week news media across the country reported on a tower block fire in Shepherds Bush.  Dramatic pictures were seen of a blaze that ripped through an 18 storey high rise.   The blaze started in the kitchen of a seventh floor flat and the occupants were in at the time and using their tumble dryer. Thankfully they were uninjured and escaped smoke coming from the dryer. The residents of four other flats in the block have also had to be rehoused following the blaze.

It took 120 firefighters to put it out. LFB fire investigators believe it was caused by a faulty Indesit tumble dryer which was subject to ‘corrective action’ by the manufacturer. It was due to be seen by an engineer.

LFB have gone on to question Whirlpool’s advice to customers who have faulty appliances.

“After this devastating fire we now want the Indesit’s parent company, Whirlpool, to change their current advice to consumers as a matter of urgency.”

Whirlpool’s advice is:

”You may continue to use your tumble dryer whilst waiting for the modification, however, we require that you do not leave your dryer unattended during operation as an extra precaution (i.e. do not leave the house or leave the dryer on whilst asleep).”

LFB and other fire safety professionals want  this changed. Faulty appliances should not be used until they have been fixed.  Its really that simple.

If you have a faulty electrical appliance, unplug it, don’t use it until it has been fixed by a qualified specialist engineer.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *